- Get Answers to Tax Questions. The Interactive Tax Assistant covers many common tax topics. Type in a question or search terms and it can lead step-by-step to the answer. Or try the IRS Tax Map. It has a list of tax law subjects to review. It combines tax topics, forms, instructions and publications into one research tool.
- Get Forms and Publications. View, download and print federal tax forms and publicationsanytime. Dozens of IRS publications are available for download in ePub format.
- Use IRS Free File. File a federal tax return for free using IRS Free File. Taxpayers who earned $64,000 or less can prepare and e-file their taxes using free brand name tax software. With e-file, there is no need to prepare or mail any paper forms to the IRS.
- Check on a Refund. The Where’s My Refund? toolis a fast and easy way to check on a tax refund. Use the IRS2Go mobile app to access the tool, or click on the ‘Refunds’ tab on IRS.gov.
- Use IRS Direct Pay. Pay taxes due with IRS Direct Pay. It’s a safe, easy and free way to pay from a checking or savings account. Go to IRS.gov/directpay to pay a federal tax bill.
- Apply for an IRS Payment Plan. An IRS Online Payment Agreement can be an option for taxpayers who can’t pay all their taxes at once.
- Check Out a Charity. Only donate to a qualified charity to deduct the donation on a tax return. Use the IRS EO Select Check tool to see if a charity is qualified.
- Calculate Tax Withholding. Taxpayers who got a large refund or owed more taxes than expected may want to change their tax withholding. Use the IRS Withholding Calculator tool to help.
- Get a Transcript. If a taxpayer does not have a copy of their tax return, they may use the Get Transcript self-help tool on IRS.gov to get a tax return transcript.
Taxpayers should keep a copy of their tax return. Beginning in 2017, taxpayers using a software product for the first time may need their Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) amount from their prior-year tax return to verify their identity. Taxpayers can learn more about how to verify their identity and electronically sign tax returns at Validating Your Electronically Filed Tax Return.